Sunday, May 18, 2008

Game on

Last time I have talked about what State of Origin is and a little bit of my feeling, this time I talk about both teams this year and my little analysis and predictions.
Both teams have announced the lineup last Tuesday as follows:

New South Wales:

1. Brett Stewert
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Matt Cooper
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Greg Bird
7. Peter Wallace
8. Brett White
9. Danny Buderus
10. Ben Cross
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Willie Mason
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange: Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon (picture), Ben Hornby

Queensland:

1. Billy Slater
2. Brent Tate
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Folau
6. Karmichael Hunt (picture)
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Carl Webb
9. Cameron Simth
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Michael Crocker
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange: PJ Marsh, Ben Hannant, Nate Myles, Jacob Lillyman
The winning captain of Queensland, Darren Lockyer, is omitted because of injury. So the lineup couldn't see him. The five-eigth position is filled by his Brisbane mate Karmichael Hunt. It is pretty surprising for me that he takes this position. However, what I predict is even though Hunt is taking this position, the task I think will be taken by Greg Inglis, coz he plays five-eigth at Melbourne. From the lineup of Queensland, I think the halves and backs are very fast, highly skilled and bring a lot of threats to the New South Wales side. I predict the Queensland halves and backs will be the key to win the Game 1.

New South Wales once again their forwards are very threathening. Willie Mason once again got his speed and strength and can crush through the Queensland forward. Craig Fitzgibbon has a great year so far and his goal kicking is remarkable. One thing they are improved is the halved combination. Peter Wallace played a great footy since he came to Brisbane this year. I think this is the best halves lineup in these 3 years. So Queensland must be awared of the forward coz this is the biggest advantage of the New South Wales.

My little prediction is the match will be very close, maybe like the Origin 1 in 2006, when New South Wales only just won by a point. So I think the difference will be within 1 try in this match.

No comments: